Club History

history

HISTORY

hst 1980Sports have always been prominent in Pitt Town and the surrounding district since its early days. Horse racing and cricket were some of the earliest sports, but there were also other unusual forms of competition concocted including sledge hammer carrying. This involved competitors running while holding a sledge hammer by a nail in the handle with only their forefinger and thumb. The winner being the one to cover the course in the shortest time without dropping the hammer. And then there was Gentleman George Dawson who was educated at Pitt Town in the 1870’s and went on to become Australian Lightweight Boxing Champion in 1891.

hst 1987The Windsor & Richmond Gazette reported in June 1907 “we understand there is a probability of a good sports club being started in Pitt Town, where there are a number of fleet footed pedestrians. When events are held they are keenly contested and the public evince great interest in the proceedings. With little trouble a club could be formed that would not only province entertainment for the public, but also encourage muscular development in our young men. We hope to see a few public spirited men take the matter up.”

However this did not come about until 73 years later when a group of workers who used to meet for a quiet drink after work in Paull’s shed (where the new shops now stand), suggested they should get a place to meet apart from at work.

An inaugural meeting was held on 12th February 1980 when 27 locals attended. A steering committee was formed, and after another public meeting at the Pitt Town Public School on 17th March 1980, at which 49 people attended, a committee was formed with N.L. Strong as the first President, and a mandate to develop a sports club to serve Pitt Town and the surrounding district. 27 acres on the corner of Old Stock Route and Old Pitt Town Roads were applied for, of which 21/2 acres were set aside for a clubhouse.

hst 2010The first clubhouse was a donated building which was transported to the site in 1987 and then extended. So the Pitt Town & District Sports Club Limited came intobeing. A liquor licence was sought but were  told the club had to have a Bowling Club to qualify for a licence, so the greens were then established. Now seven sports are affiliated with the club..

The new clubhouse as it now stands was opened by local member Ray Williams on 11th July 2010. Membership is open to males and females who enjoy equal privileges and new members are always welcome.

 

Our Club

MEMBERSHIP

apFrm but1To join the the Club, simply click the button at right to download the Membership Application form. Complete all the details
and either post it back to us or bring it in on your next visit.
New members are always welcome.

CLUB DRESS REGULATIONS will be enforced at all times, patrons not conforming to these regulations will not be permitted entry to the Club. Click here to view our Dress Regulations

RESPONSIBLE SERVICE COMMITMENTS
The Pitt Town Sports Clubs is committed to the responsible service of alcohol and gaming. Pitt Town Sports encourages responsible drinking and will not tolerate unsocial behaviour. Click here to view our RSA House Policy

The Pitt Town & District Sports Club is committed to providing responsible gaming for our members and guests. As part of this commitment, the Pitt Town & District Sports Club has been involved in the development of and provision for support in the solutions to problem gambling.

AR17

ANNUAL REPORT - 2017
The Pitt Town Sports Club is pleased to release its report for the financial year ending 30 June 2017.
A copy can be downloaded by clicking the button at right.

 

 

Important Information

impInfo